A Two Generation Approach is "Key" to Breaking the Cycle of Poverty
Early Head Start (EHS) programs partner with families to prepare their children socially and emotionally for school. The Keys to Success program provides enhanced support to pregnant and parenting high school and college students. The Keys program combines quality Early Head Start child development services with transportation assistance, academic support, and career exploration. Here young parents find the resources they need to graduate from school school, attend college and take the next steps to becoming independent, self-supporting adults.
What does the Keys to Success program offer to young families?
- Free child-care, diapers, formula and food for children enrolled at the Discovery Station Child Development Center in Gaithersburg, MD
- After school tutoring services
- The 8-week Keys to Success Summer Program, with comprehensive college readiness, career exploration, parenting and health education
- Discovery Days family activities
- Help with goal setting and community resources
- Opportunity to grow leadership skills
- Resources for children with special needs
- Transportation assistance for program activities
Who can participate in the Keys to Success program?
Participants must meet the Early Head Start eligibility criteria, which includes:
- Live in Upper Montgomery County, Maryland
- Meet Head Start federal eligibility requirements
- Have a child younger than 26 months or be expecting a child
- Once enrolled in the program, students must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA. Incentives are offered for earning higher GPAs.