Bilingual Family Support Worker: Early Head Start-Gaithersburg, MD
Enhances the home environment and parenting functioning for the physical and mental well-being of children who are at risk of being abused/neglected and poor health and developmental outcomes. The Family Support Worker assists with the strengthening of the parent-child relationship through improving parenting skills and empowering parents towards self sufficiency. Works with individual families in the home and with groups occasionally. Spanish speaking a requirement for this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manages a maximum caseload of 10-12 children. Completes a weekly 90-minute home visit with each family and child as per Early Head Start (EHS) Performance Standards.
• Guides families in the development of Family Partnership Agreements (FPA). Supports families in follow-through to assist families in obtaining self-sufficiency and reach intended goals. Reviews and revises FPAs routinely with Team Leader.
• Familiarizes self with community resources appropriate to needs of families and acts as a liaison between families and other community service agencies. Provides referrals for services. Assists parents in making and attending appointments for doctors, social service agencies, etc. Implements the full range of family support services in compliance with Head Start Performance Standards.
• Prepares home-visit lessons and corresponding summaries. Records observations and activities in a complete, consistent and timely manner, no later than 48 hours after family contact. Updates information in CAP60 data management system.
• Encourages parents to participate in Policy Council, Parent Committees, activities, and all aspects of the EHS program
• Coordinates and participates in bi-monthly Group Socialization activities for families in the Home-based option.
• Performs child screenings in accordance with the schedule provided by the Infant and Toddler Specialist. Prepares Individualized Child Development Plan for each child on assigned caseload.
• Meets with Home-based Team Leader on a regular basis to evaluate family status, share risk assessments, and determine available resources.
• Attends regular staff meetings, case conferences, and other meetings as requested.
• Familiarizes self with community resources appropriate to needs of families and acts as a liaison between families and other community service agencies.
• Complies with requirements as set forth to meet or exceed Head Start Performance Standards. Assists in the annual Self-Assessment.
• Submits annual career development plan to supervisor. Attends workshops, conferences, and continuing education trainings to gain career-related knowledge and skills. Maintains First Aid and Infant/Child CPR certification.
• Is a Mandated Reporter of suspected cases of child abuse and neglect in accordance with Maryland state and Montgomery County regulations. Reports suspected cases of child abuse and neglect to Center-based Team Leader.
• Updates records in CAP60 or other data management system.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
High school graduate or equivalency and demonstrated knowledge of parenting skills, early childhood, and case planning practice required. Bachelor’s degree in social work, early childhood, family studies or related field with one year of experience or eight years experience working with families, children, and infants preferred. Ability to maintain flexible work schedule, including some evening and weekend hours. Use of reliable car for work purposes. Ability to lift 40 pounds and participate in floor time activities with participant families. Fluency in Spanish, as well as English, may be required.
To apply for this opening, please complete the following form and upload your cover letter and resume:
Apply By Mail
To apply by mail, please send a cover letter with the job title and your resume to Family Services, Inc:
Human Resources, Family Services, Inc.
610 East Diamond Avenue, Suite 100
Gaithersburg, MD 20877