Care Specialist:Independence Program-Prince George's County, MD
Provides direct services to consumers ensuring that daily scheduled activities are carried out. The Care Specialist should, in his/her relationship with consumers and other staff, model healthy, functional behavior and coping skills. The Care Specialist strives to create safe, supportive environment in which consumers can learn the skills they need to function independently.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Carrying out specific shift duties as assigned by RRP Team Leader or Group Home Manager.
• Scheduling appointment times for off-site psychiatric rehabilitation services with consumers using the consumer’s Individual Rehabilitation Plan (IRP) as a guideline. Supporting these consumers in working toward achievement of IRP goals by offering training, assistance, and modeling with daily living skills to consumers (e.g., housekeeping, personal hygiene, nutrition, meal preparation, use of public transportation, and socialization skills) while fostering individual’s development of his own skills and confidence.
• Providing transportation for consumers to medical appointments, food shopping, and other destinations as necessary. Carrying out all scheduled group and individual activities, including all appointments which are listed on Red Flag Sheets and the monthly appointments calendar.
• Monitoring consumers’ administration of medication and recording in Daily Medication Record; contacting the PRP Manager (Rehabilitation Manager in Montgomery County) regarding serious medication errors, such as an individual taking the wrong medication, or wrong dosage of medication.
• Providing back-up job coaching and other duties as assigned by the RRP Team Leader or Group Homes Manager to assist the Supported Employment Program.
• Entering required documentation of activities into the Electronic Health Record, the Daily Log, recreation activities log, visitations log, NA/AA attendance charts, Incident Reports, etc.
• Attending mandatory bi-weekly scheduled staff meetings.
• Taking phone messages appropriately and conveying them to person called.
• Representing the Independence Program in a positive and professional manner to consumers’ families and outside organizations with whom Care Specialists come in contact in person or by telephone.
• Reporting to PRP Manager (Rehabilitation Manager Montgomery County) noteworthy information about consumer behavior or mental status.
• Following all policies and procedures as outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual; complying with all state and county regulations regarding living programs and consumer rights.
• Responding appropriately to consumer medical emergencies and performing crisis intervention when necessary, including, but not limited to providing emergency first aid and CPR.
• Other duties as assigned.
A college degree in the mental health field and at least six months of experience working with severe and persistent mentally ill clients or high school diploma with some the completion of some college courses and a minimum of three years of experience working with severe and persistent mentally ill clients. Capable of teaching and modeling such independence and daily living skills to clients. Must be able to perform the physical activities necessary to model the general housekeeping and other tasks of daily living (e.g., light-to-medium lifting, bending, stooping, climbing stairs). Good communication skills and empathy toward clients with chronic mental illness. A valid driver’s license, insurance and a driving record with less than 3 current points are required for employment in this position.
To apply for this opening, please complete the following form and upload your cover letter and resume:
Apply By Mail
To apply by mail, please send a cover letter with the job title and your resume to Family Services, Inc:
Human Resources, Family Services, Inc.
610 East Diamond Avenue, Suite 100
Gaithersburg, MD 20877